Wildcat Thunder

Student Spotlight: Hunter Davis

Shanika Cumberbatch, Reporter

No Matter the Darkness, Keep the Flame Lit

At first Hunter seemed shocked to be featured on the school’s newspaper, but I think that he has accomplished so much for himself and it should be recognized.

Hunter said that being featured was different for him. “I never expected to graduate, but still I expected the best for myself.” When it came to me asking what kept him going, what was his form of support Hunter said Mrs. Norris was his inspiration, “She treated me like any other student, but when the work got to be too hard for me or too much she would remind me I couldn’t give into everyone’s expectations.”

when the work got to be too hard for me or too much she would remind me I couldn’t give into everyone’s expectations.””

— Davis

When it comes to what Hunter has accomplished, he has done it all on his own time. He says, if he had more time he’d do better. “The support around me shows my impact and the ‘change’ I started empowers me even when I’m low I know the work doesn’t stop here.” Hunter says. It has been noted that Hunter began his junior year with the GPA of 0.6 and by the end of the year his GPA was above a 3.0. Now that he is a senior and he’s continuing to work on his grades, Hunters GPA is a 3.4. Honestly, that’s just amazing.

When it comes to focusing, for Hunter it took time. Soon after he began making up his classes it just became natural thing for him. He says he sometimes feels like giving up, but he doesn’t. I asked Hunter what made him want to change, like what gave him that push to fix his grades, he said, “From my mother’s death to avoiding my father for accusing me of being on drugs, I changed for the sake of myself. I never wanted to be labeled like my family and grow to be a “jailbird”, so every day I attempted to make that day better than the last.

If I knew someone in a similar situation, I’d would, with no hesitation send them to Hunter if they felt like they couldn’t go to anyone else around them. Without even knowing it, Hunter could be someone’s inspiration. “My advice – never assume it’s too hard and get involved in clubs, find a teacher that you bond well with or even another classmate. (Always put classwork first.) Any obstacle can be overthrown even when your all you got.”

1 Comment

One Response to “Student Spotlight: Hunter Davis”

1. Gary Davis on October 26th, 2016 2:47 pm

This is what my world revolves around

Wildcat Thunder intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. Wildcat Thunder does not allow anonymous comments, and Wildcat Thunder requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Student Spotlight: Hunter Davis

News

Senior Breakfast Pictures and Valedictorian’s Senior Breakfast Speech 5.12.17

• Student Spotlight: Hunter Davis

News

2016-2017 CATSPY Awards

• Student Spotlight: Hunter Davis

News

Journalism : One of the Greatest Classes Ever

• Student Spotlight: Hunter Davis

News

Women’s National and Olympic Team tryouts

• Student Spotlight: Hunter Davis

Classes, Clubs, Organizations

Buddy Ball 2017

• Student Spotlight: Hunter Davis

News

The Struggles of Testing

• Student Spotlight: Hunter Davis

News

Prom Promise at WCHS

• Student Spotlight: Hunter Davis

News

Battle of the Belts: Seatbelt Safety Collaboration

• Student Spotlight: Hunter Davis

News

It’s That Time of Year Again: Course Selections.

• Student Spotlight: Hunter Davis

News

Black History Month

The student news site of Wesley Chapel High School
Student Spotlight: Hunter Davis