Wildcat Thunder

Featured Student Amadeus Stauffer C/O ’17

Chelsea Clark, Reporter

This weeks showcase goes to Amadeus Stauffer. Amadeus is 17 years old and a Senior at Chapel. He’s also a talented artist who’s line of interest isn’t exactly on the light and dandy side. His art focuses on dark fantasy romance and he usually gets his inspirations from books, literature, and life experiences.  Amadeus started drawing at a young age but claims he wasn’t “decent” until the beginning of this year when he began taking drawing 1.

Heart and Rose

The first time I saw this drawing I was taken aback. Intrigued, I asked Amadeus what influenced him to draw it. “I was reading a book,” he replied “in the book one of my favorite characters died and it had to do with roses, it was really interesting so that’s where that came from.” The book is called The Dark Tower Series. “This one took me an hour,” he commented “Its the one I’m most proud of.”

1

Covered eyes

“I was in class and Mr. Bockus was talking about insanity for his creative writing class,” he explained “I thought it’d be cool to do a piece on mental illnesses.” The drawing to the left represents depression and the drawing on the right represents schizophrenia. Schizophrenia is a mental disorder which leads to faulty perception, inappropriate actions and feelings, withdrawal from reality, personal relationships into fantasy and delusion, and a sense of mental fragmentation. Asking how long each of them took, Amadeus responded “the representation of schizophrenia took me about three or four hours.” This drawing was his first attempt at drawing a realistic face. “The one that represents depression took me about 30 minutes.”

3

Skull

This drawing has a similar story to the heart and rose above. “It has to do with a book, he explained, “the characters went into a world which represented life but changed to represent death and necromancy.” Necromancy is the practice of communicating with the dead. The book is the third book in the Death Gates Cycle, Sea of Fire.

4

Extras

I asked Amadeus why his theme is darkness. He laughed, answering “I’m not good with manipulating colors. Using dark colors, you can usually tell a story with one picture that adheres to people’s emotions.” I also inquired if he had any idols, “I like Janelle Elliot’s work,” he replied, “she’s the one who inspired me to do pen work.”