Wildcat Thunder

Black History Month

www.allposters.com%2F-sp%2Ffamous-African-Americans-posters_i4470411_.htm
www.allposters.com/-sp/famous-African-Americans-posters_i4470411_.htm

Jimya Nicholas, Reporter

February is devoted to learning about the struggles, sacrifices, goals and accomplishments African Americans made many years ago. Equality wasn’t always a thing in America. Things were very unfair. African Americans were separated from everyone else. There were specific bathrooms, schools, restaurants, bus seats, water fountains and other privileges revoked for African Americans. If they were to violate in any way, shape or form they were punished. Some were beaten and others were thrown in jail. Many people aren’t aware of the things that happened many years ago. That’s why Black History Month is so important.

Black History Month wasn’t always a full month. It started off as “Negro History Week,” which was established by Carter G. Woodson and Jesse E. Moorland. They were the founders of the organization called the Association for the Study of Negro Life and History, which is ASNLH for short. Therefore, this month is a month of celebration. Woodson even traveled to Chicago to celebrate the end of slavery’s 50th anniversary. That celebration is what inspired the organization ASNLH. The accomplishments made my African Americans are celebration worthy.

Black History Month began in 1915, which is a half-century after the 13th amendment. If you’re unaware, the 13th amendment is the amendment that abolished slavery. Therefore, this month was chosen because it’s close to the birthdays of Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglass. Abraham Lincoln gave a speech and was against slavery, so he’s also recognized this month. President Gerald Ford also declared this month as Black History Month. Every president after him also declared February as Black History Month. 

Many accomplishments and people are celebrated this month. People such as: Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks, W.E.B DuBois, Booker T. Washington, Maya Angelou, Nelson Mandela, Harriet Tubman, and many more. They’re also greatly appreciated. For a list of leaders and their accomplishments visit here.

According to www.scholastic.com, people celebrate this month by doing the following activities such as: singing songs they wrote, baking traditional soul food treats, listening to the blues, playing Mancala, and looking at pictures of those that receive recognition this month. In some history classes many things about the history of African Americans will hopefully be discussed.

February is one of my favorite months of the year because it’s dedicated to the sacrifices, accomplishments and contributions of African Americans. This month informs many about their history because some are clueless. We’ve came a long way. Especially since segregation isn’t allowed anymore. Separate schools, restaurants, bus seats and water fountains is ridiculous. Since recognition is given people are able to educate themselves on the history of blacks. Racism still exists today but it isn’t nearly as bad as it was years ago. Even though segregation and racism were huge back then, it didn’t stop many leaders from giving their speeches and fighting for their rights.