ASL Honor Society Induction Ceremony

Back to Article
Back to Article

ASL Honor Society Induction Ceremony

Avanna Tiwarie, Reporter

This past Friday, (3/3/17), the ASL Honor Society welcomed some new members into their club. This special event took place in the PAC accompanied with family and friends of the new inductees.  The whole PAC stage was decorated with balloons and other ornaments to represent the beauty of American Sign Language. The ASL teachers, Mrs. Oller and Mrs. Alfonso did a tremendous job in greeting the new inductees into the ASL club.

Being inducted into ASL honor society  made me feel a sense of achievement. Since I was also part of the ceremony, I thought I would share how it went along. First of all, when an inductee’s name was called, he or she would walk up onto the stage to receive their gold-printed certificate and their pin that was embellished in gold along with the words ‘American Sign Language’ engraved into it. The certificate also had the ASL pledge printed on it that each new member was required to learn. Once the new inductee received their certificate and pin, they were required to sign the ASL pledge together to ensure they understand the importance of being accepted into this club. After each inductee received their pin and certificate, they were seated in their respective seats and Mrs. Oller and Mrs. Alfonso called the seniors to the stage to honor them. Once the ceremony was concluded, there was cake to celebrate. 

Not only was the induction ceremony a great way for ASL students to be awarded for being accepted into the honor society, but it was a great way for family and friends to get together and celebrate how far ASL has come across today.  

Below is the ASL pledge that the new members were required to learn and sign together: 

“As a student of ASL, I understand that language can be a powerful connection between peoples of different cultures and backgrounds, bringing them together. Henceforth, I am proud to commit to being a steadfast ally of the Deaf community. I pledge to encourage Deaf and Hearing peoples to come together in unity throughout the world. Lastly, I will reflect the ideals of the American Sign Language Honor Society in scholarship, community service, and personal excellence.”