Wildcat Thunder

Battle of the Belts: Seatbelt Safety Collaboration

The thought of losing a loved one is terrifying. This becomes a reality to many parents. In fact, “per mile driven teen drivers ages 16 to 19 are nearly three times more likely than drivers aged 20 and older to be in a fatal crash.” In Journalism, we got to ask Corporal Mobley some questions  about the Public Service Announcement on seatbelts. I asked him if there is a specific lesson or point he was trying to make and he responded with, “I want to guide the youth, so that they don’t make mistakes that will harm their future.”I also asked if there was anything parents could do to help their children and Cpl. Mobley said,”I believe parents should set a great example for children, because they always mimic their parents behavior.” The risk of fatal accidents with teens has become an american epidemic. Cpl.Mobley wants every student driver to wear a seatbelt, and to encourage that he put an airhead on every students’ cars that said, “Don’t be an Airhead, wear your seatbelt.” Cpl. Mobley believes that inexperienced drivers should always strive to gain more experience with veteran drivers. Cpl.Mobley is doing a post-survey, and will check student cars leaving the school today, March 16th.

The true purpose of the PSA Is to bring awareness to how dangerous driving can be. Teens can be very easily distracted with their cellphones, friends, or even food. Anything you are doing in the car besides focusing on the road causes an immediate risk of being involved in a fatal accident. Seatbelts are a must.  I also asked Cpl.Mobley what you should do if you see a person driving recklessly. He said, to call 911 and tell them where you are, the tag number, and kind of car you are reporting. If you do not know where you are, your location can be tracked through your phone (Mobley). 

Just remember that when driving, life is more important than taking a bite of a burger, or sending a text.

Just remember that when driving, life is more important than taking a bite of a burger, or sending a text.”

— Brandon Cruz

Driving is something that you must really grasp and understand. For example, Corporal said, “driving is like giving a kid a gun, you can’t just give an unexperienced kid a gun and expect him use it properly.” He then said, “the same goes for driving you can’t just stick a teenager behind the wheel of a 6,000 pound car, because that car can easily turn into a 6,000 pound killing machine.”