Wildcat Thunder

Retep’s New Album Drops May 23rd.

Christian Marquez, Reporter

When it comes to our generation of kids, there are various types of individuals. Some just hope for the best, but others are driven with a burning passion to fulfill their dreams. Peter Kendle, from our very own school, is one of those kids and he came in to give us the scoop on what exactly motivated him to turn himself into what we hope is the next big thing. Without further ado, let’s get into it.

Everyone had their own questions but the one I wanted to know most was what made him start rapping? What made him decide to pursue this art? Peter told me that he’s always loved writing. When he was younger, he would write short stories which, over time, evolved into raps. He also says he considers himself a musical poet, using his experiences through his life as a guide to reflect upon his music. Hearing the way he describes what rapping means to him, you know that his heart pumps music. It flows through him and he accepts it with open arms. You don’t see that a lot nowadays especially among high school students.

“You need to have self confidence…. .”  Peter stated that self confidence is one of the most important things to have and I completely agree. To be able to utter the words that spill from your mind has to take great will and a whole lot of heart. He went from wanting to be a teacher, to putting out songs since freshman year. He is dedicated to his music and will do what it takes to make it.

When asked about signing to a label he said that he wants to remain an independent rapper as long as he can. He buys his beats and finds them on YouTube himself. He prefers melodic beats and even has a new album coming out on all music outlets, even Apple Music, titled “Self Over Status.”  The focus of the album is to focus on yourself. He feels like people are too scared to be themselves and that it isn’t right. Another thing to know is his music is completely free of profanity. He uses an expansive vocabulary instead to express himself.

Peter Kendle has a dream. He’s already climbing the steps to reach what he’s been after since this thought of his sparked into a lifestyle. He is a rapper, but more importantly, he is a student who isn’t afraid to be himself. Remember that. Be yourself no matter how many people tell you how wrong it is. No matter how many people tell you that you can’t, show them that in fact you can. I hope this resonates with more of our student body because I know there are more of you out there. Students with dreams, let them flow out.