Wildcat Thunder

Moving Away from my Family for Four Years Alone

Madison Novotny, Reporter

Over the past year, I was faced with the decision that could change my life completely. I could either stay in Florida with my family or move to New York, alone. 

I’ve been playing competitive ice hockey for eight years. I learned to skate in second grade, and from there on I fell in love with the sport. During the next two years I joined house league teams. Then, I tried out for the Jr. Bulls travel hockey team. Since there were no girls programs in the state of Florida at the time, I was forced to play with boys. I ended up playing with the Bulls for about five years which made me a much better player. 

When there was a girls program, I was not very happy when my parents told me I would be playing for them. I thought girls hockey was wimpy and not competitive as boys. Little did I know that if I ever wanted to play a higher level of hockey I would need to be seen, and girls hockey would give that exposure. 

After two years of being on a girls team and practicing with boys to keep my speed up, I was scouted by a boarding school in Lake Placid, New York called Northwood School. Going to this school would allow me to be exposed to the top colleges, develop my skill, and give me a great education. 

When I was accepted, I was ecstatic. Although moving away from my family for four years alone is not what I was hoping for, I’m thankful for this opportunity. I will be repeating my ninth grade year. I will not be taking the same classes I am now except for redoing my algebra one class. The reason I’m repeating is because this puts me in a better position to receive a college scholarship.