The student news site of Wesley Chapel High School

Wildcat Thunder

Student Spotlight: James Thomas

I still remember the first day of each year of high school. It seemed like in the beginning, I came in with a frown and tried not to talk to anyone. At the very end, I came in with a smile and I greeted everyone I knew. I’ve made so many friends over the last 4 years. I’ve also lost many friends. Sometimes things don’t work out; it’s very unlikely that you’re going to end high school with the same friends you started with. But that’s okay, because new friends come along, and help you make incredible memories. If I had to do it over again, I would put the same amount of effort and energy I did in my senior year throughout all of my high school career. I feel bad for my teachers from freshman year because I never did any of my work. Also, you’ll come to realize in your senior year how much your teachers have really impacted your life. I never expected one of my teachers to become one of my best friends. Make sure to give your teachers recognition, too. They deserve it. I’m glad that I found happiness in my junior/senior year in the drama department. I discovered my passion for playwriting and acting, and I hope to pursue a career in filmmaking. You might not know what you’re going to want to do when you get into high school. That’s okay. I didn’t find out what I wanted to do until my junior year. The thing is, you’ll know exactly what you’re passionate about when you experience it. It’s a beautiful moment where you’re able to enjoy doing something without it feeling like work. That’s how I felt about the drama department. It has made the biggest impact on me than anything else in my life. I didn’t discover it till my junior year, but I’m glad that I got into it when it wasn’t too late. If I had to offer any advice, I would say to take every single opportunity you have and do something. Do you want to join the football team? Good, go try out. Do you want to be part of the dance department? Good, go sign up for it. Or maybe you want to be part of a play. Good, go out and audition. Don’t miss anything. Always try. If you don’t try, then you’ll be left with the thought “what if?” Get involved with what you love. Because you wi definitely regret it if you never try. You’re only given so little time, so make something out of it. The world is yours.